Towards better management of Specially Protected Areas of Mediterranean Importance
The twinning programme aims essentially at developing and strengthening an effective management of Specially Protected Areas of Mediterranean Importance (SPAMIs). It is implemented in the framework of the Memorandum of Understanding between the United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment) and the Italian Ministry for Environment, Land and Sea (IMELS). It aims at contributing to the achievement of the Aichi Target 11, and SDG 14.5 in the Mediterranean.
The activities are envisaged to develop twining programmes among Italian SPAMIs/MPAs and SPAMIs/MPAs of the Mediterranean sub-regions of which Italy is part, in order to promote networking and standardize management. More specifically, the programme aims at supporting best practices and experience sharing between the twin SPAMIs/MPAs, building capacities, and involving NGOs.
SPA/RAC activities focus on the following actions:
- Identification of the twinning partners and the definition of specific contents of each twinning programme and signature of twinning agreements between 4 Italian SPAMIs/MPAs and 4 other SPAMIs/MPAs
- Holding a kick-off meeting
- Setting up monitoring programmes to contribute to the Integrated Monitoring and Assessment Programme (IMAP) developed in the framework of the Barcelona Convention’s Ecosystem Approach Roadmap
- Sharing, among the twinned areas, best practices and management strategies and exchange visits of the SPAMIs/MPAs managers in the twinned area, to support the application and implementation of the above models and strategies
- Carrying out participatory processes aiming at involving stakeholders in the identified management strategies and organizing on-the-job training sessions for a better operational management in the twinned SPAMIs/MPAs
- Implementing concrete management actions on the field at twinned SPAMIs/MPAs level
- Involvement of the NGOs in SPAMIs/MPAs activities through calls for projects, and implementation of small projects activities on the field at twinned SPAMIs/MPAs level
- Communication and capitalization material about lessons learnt and innovative approaches of the small projects implemented by the civil society organizations at twinned SPAMIs/MPAs level
- Establishing a collaborative platform for SPAMIs/MPAs based on the experience gained during the twinning activities.
- Tavolara-Punta Coda Cavallo MPA (Italy) / Habibas islands marine reserve (Algeria)
- Islands Egadi MPA (Italy) / Kneiss islands natural reserve (Tunisia)
- Torre Guaceto MPA (Italy) / Karaburun-Sazan national marine park (Albania)
- Torre Del Cerrano MPA (Italy) / Strunjun landscape park (Slovenia)